The other day my husband set out to really spoil me and decided to grill lobster tails and steaks for dinner. Oh twist my arm! Who doesn’t love a good surf and turf dinner?! The Big Green Egg was perfect for both the lobster tails and the steaks – both had that delicious grill flavor to them while maintaining perfect juiciness!
Surf and Turf is great to make on the Big Green Egg: while the filets rest after grilling in the cast iron pan, you’ll have time to grill the lobster tails. Just be sure to wear grilling gloves and use tools to switch the Big Green Egg from direct to indirect heat! And while the Egg is hot, why not grill some asparagus as a healthy side.
Grilling Filet Mignon in a Cast Iron Pan on The Big Green Egg
– 1 hour before grilling, sprinkle with salt and rub in. Return to fridge
– Remove from fridge 20 minutes prior and brush with melted butter and season with pepper to taste
– Heat egg (direct) to 475-500F with cast iron pan inside.
– Place filet in pan for 2.5 min, then flip and cook for 2.5. Flip again, add 3 pats of butter, 4 cloves of garlic. Close lid and all vents. 2.5 minutes should bring internal temp to medium.
– Tip the pan to one side and use a spoon to collect the juices and baste filets.
– Remove and cover. Let rest for 10 min.
Grilling Lobster Tails on The Big Green Egg
– Butterfly tails, drizzle with olive oil and rub oil in on all sides including underneath.
– Season the tails lightly with paprika.
– Heat Big Green Egg to 375-400F indirect heat.
– Grill (meat up) for approximately 1.5 minutes per ounce.
– Serve immediately with melted butter to dip.